Sunday, November 4, 2007

for the next two games we shall be known as...

Real quick like - let me tell you about yesterday's highlights...

Arsenal fought back from their death bed to draw Man U and managed again to make a tie feel like victory. I am a bit worried about our last 5 defenders, but I think that the players have this belief that they just can't be beat. That sort of character would go a long way on the Tech Football team for sure...

Another bit of similarity that you might recognize - this from the "Head Coach" of Man U, Sir Alex Ferguson:

"Our bench were getting terrible abuse from people two or three feet away. There is a lack of security here. It is absolutely disgraceful the abuse you and your staff take. All sorts of things are shouted and screamed at you and there is an absolute danger here."

Wow - sound like another gaping hatchet wound that we know? And this is professional soccer of the highest level! Has Sir Alex started on his estrogen a little early?

So arseblog.com reminds us:

As well as that, the irony of him complaining when his own fans loudly and gleefully sing a song about Arsene being a paedophile whenever we play at Old Trafford is not lost on many of us.

For the next portion of the day I was heavily engaged in a game of channel surfing - which I won easily, defeating my wife into submission. Watching the Fighting LDLs score an amazing number of points on Nebraska - a score not seen often by the children of the corn...

Well, not since October 9, 2004 (box score here)...

LUBBOCK, Texas (Ticker) -- Nebraska has been playing football
since 1890, but it never had absorbed a loss like this.

In the fifth game of the Bill Callahan era, the Cornhuskers were
trounced by Big 12 Conference rival Texas Tech, 70-10.

Nebraska (3-2, 1-1 Big 12 North), which surrendered its most
points in a game and in a half (49 in the second), never had
lost by more than 54 points in its previous 1,136 games.

The Cornhuskers never had allowed more than 62 points in a game,
but they gave up seven points in the first quarter, 14 in the
second, 21 in the third and 28 in the fourth in this one.

Sonny Cumbie completed 44-of-56 passes for 436 yards and five
touchdowns for the Red Raiders (4-2, 2-1 South), who had lost
the first seven meetings between the teams. It was the most
touchdown passes ever by one player against Nebraska.
Then, on to Stillwater to watch OSU absolutely throw a win out the window. We don't have much room to talk - Alex Trilica has been streaky at best. Jason Ricks had a 35 yarder to win the game and just couldn't cash in. So, we're left to hear how Texas has it "in them:"

"It's just within us," McCoy said. "I wish we could play like that in the beginning, I promise. I hate that it has to come down like that, but it just shows the toughness and shows the fight and shows the character of our team."

Really Colt? Because if Ricks puts that FG through we really don't know if you would have had it "in you" or not.

Are these guys getting money from Gatorade too?

Just a few minutes earlier I got to watch a bit of history - Navy beating Notre Dame - and in South Bend no less! Really, if Coach Weis isn't careful he could be coaching defense at Texas Tech.

I rarely feel bad for the Aggies, but am thinking that Coach Fran has torn the hearts out of some of these kids. They're playing hard, but these kids are the walking dead. It's really too bad, I almost think it would be better if he was gone from the sideline for the remainder of the season - and I bet that may happen this week.

The grand finale for me was the fight - the fight that boxing fans watched - but that the casual fan probably missed out on (*cough* Ignatius J Reiley *cough*). What a shame because it was the best fight I've seen in years. Truly.

The knock on Calzaghe was that he's a European. Really. I think he put all of those doubts to rest last night as he beat up on Kessler and bent him to his will. Part brawl, part education in the finer points of boxing, this should have been the "Match to save boxing."

While Bad Left Hook thinks it wasn't necessarily the fight of the year - he heaps praise on Calzaghe as he should - and retracts his long-held belief that Calzaghe was simply average and unproven. And since SC has come to his senses I will add BLH to my blogroll - I'm sure he's thrilled.

So then...on to Austin to do battle with the Longhorns.

Which Texas Tech team will show up? I sure hope it's the good one.

I haven't done a book recommendation so far - so this will be my first:

The Rescue Artist by Edward Dolnick. Buy it.




1 comment:

Ignatius J. Reilly said...

I stopped watching boxing the day that guy parachuted into the ring during the Holyfield/Bowe fight.
They'll never top that as far as I'm concerned.